Graduate school is a huge step in one’s professional and academic career. Without preparation, however, a graduate school may not become a reality.
Graduate school is a large step for anyone who is considering it, both in the academic and professional realm. For some, going to graduate school may mean changing careers or gaining additional skills for an existing one, while for others graduate school may mean advancing in their field or moving into a teaching role at the undergraduate level.
No matter a person’s reason for attending graduate school, there is a lot of preparation that goes into the application process and getting the acceptance letter.
Researching Graduate School Options
According to Purdue University, the earlier a student begins researching graduate school options, the better. Once a student has schools and potential programs in mind, then it is easier to make a student a competitive applicant to the program.
In addition, researching options and programs early gives a student time to change his or her mind before actually beginning the application process. Each school has different programs with different admissions requirements, course work requirements, and philosophies on various subjects.
It is also important that a student establishes himself- or herself academically while an undergraduate. Students should make sure that they take classes related to work that they wish to do in graduate school, but also participate in para- and pre-professional organizations, honor societies like the Honor Society Foundation, internships, and research opportunities to gain experience, knowledge, and to demonstrate a commitment to that academic or professional field.
For those looking for tools to research graduate schools, both the Princeton Review and the U.S. News and World Report rank the United States’ top colleges and universities in a variety of different fields and capacities.
Applying to Graduate School
The application process for graduate school can take months, especially if a potential student is looking to secure a graduate internship or a teaching assistantship.
According to the University of Washington, there are many parts of the application process, and each one is vitally important when looking to receive an acceptance letter:
- Standardized test scores Students should make sure that they take the required or recommended standardized tests for their program of interest. Most graduate students will take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE,) while law students will take the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT,) and medical students will take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT.)
- Official undergraduate transcripts Students who have attended more than one school during his or her undergraduate career must remember to submit transcripts from every school attended in order to have a complete application unless otherwise noted.
- Statement of Purpose This is the student’s chance to show their personality, but to also state just what their goals and aspirations are. This portion of the application should be to the point; graduate school admissions counselors read through hundreds if not thousands of applications each year, and a student needs to stand out quickly and confidently.
- Recommendations These should be in academic and professional nature. Make sure that a student’s references are able to give quality recommendations. Students must remember to provide references with a copy of his or her resume just in case a reference needs to refresh his or her memory as to what skills the student has.
- Optional materials This may include an application fee, internship application, teaching assistantship application, additional writing samples, and interviews with program directors and admissions counselors.
Graduate school is a major step for anyone looking to further their career or education. However, if the application process and preparation is not taken seriously, it may take potential students many tries to get into a program, requiring a lot of time, energy, and money.
Three Ways Creativity Affects Your Physical and Mental State
5 Things to Consider Before Pursuing a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Cybersecurity Firms Warn Businesses to Expect More Attacks on Remote Workers
Ways to Improve Your Night Vision While Driving
How to Design the Most Killer Website?
5 Must-Read Books for Lawyers
Ways the Art Industry Is Remaining Afloat During the Pandemic
5 Steps to Filling a Car Accident Claim
Tech2 years ago
7 Solid Reasons Why E-commerce is the future of Shopping
Travel2 years ago
All You Need to Know about Foster City, California
Home2 years ago
How to Light up A Store with the Perfect LED Light Design
Internet2 years ago
5 Secrets To Hiring The Right SEO Agency
Career1 year ago
Honest Career Digitized- Review
Business2 years ago
China’s Huawei Technologies Blacklisted in the U.S.
Guides2 years ago
The Most Popular Vape Tricks and How to Do Them
Tech2 years ago
Affordable innovation: A look at Samsung’s Galaxy A70