There are a lot of HDMI Cables on the market, but they are divided into 2 styles: HDMI passive cable and HDMI active Cable. The difference between them is that passive HDMI cable has no chipsets, but the active one has chipsets inside.
Active HDMI cables are divided into Active Copper HDMI cable (Redmere solution) and Active Optical HDMI cable (Smartavlink’s solution).
All people believe that Active Optical HDMI cable is the high-speed HDMI signal transmission solution in the future. That is because fiber optical can correctly send the highest bandwidth from 1G to 100Gbps signal. A lot of people start to use this new technology in their home theaters and meeting rooms, but sometimes we find HDMI AOC cable does not work after Installation? Why?
Before we get this answer, we have to learn some concepts.
HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface)
HDMI is a proprietary audio/video interface for transferring compressed or uncompressed video and audio data from an HDMI-compliant source device, such as a display controller, to a compatible computer monitor, video projector, digital television, or digital audio device. HDMI is a digital replacement for analog video standards.
HDMI AOC (HDMI Active Optical Cable)
HDMI AOC is a kind of cable that can replace the copper cable, and the port can be used directionally as copper HDMI cable. It uses Electronic-Fiber and Fiber-Electronic converting technology to send HDMI signals through fiber optical.
HDMI AOC has the following advantages:
1. Long-distance. The max distance can be 100m without any signal loss or delay.
2. High bandwidth. It ranges from 18Gbps (HDMI 2.0) to 48Gbps (HDMI 2.1).
3. Easy Installation, plug in plug out, and no need an external power supply.
4. Soft, flexible, and slim, and lower EMI interrupts.
Why is your HDMI AOC without signal after Installation?
HDMI AOC has so many advantages, it drives a lot of people to use this new technology, but not everybody knows its inside risks. Some people find that there is no signal after Installation. What happens to them? Here, I am going to list some reasons that cause this problem. I hope this article will help you to find the reason.
- Wrong direction. Fiber optical HDMI cable is a uni-direction product, and the HDMI signal is sent by lighting, so you have to put Source to PC/STB/DVD and make display side connect to TV/Screen/Project, etc.
- The cable is broken. Because the internal cable is optical fiber, whether plastic optical fiber or glass optical fiber, there is a bending radius, so please read your cable manual before Installation to avoid cable fracture or bending radius error. Smartavlink’s HDMI AOC can knot, and its bending half diameter in the market is very small so as to avoid the risk.
- Compatibility problem. HDMI AOC is an active HDMI optical cable, which has a chipset. How to ensure the success of HDMI AOC? The key is to ensure that the EDID reading of TV (display end) and DVD (source end) is successful, and then your TV will start. Therefore, in marketing, poor HDMI AOC is not good in compatibility, only suitable for small brand HDMI devices. Before starting to use HDMI AOC, testing is very important.
- The last one is that the cable does not work on any HDMI device, but the cable is not disconnected. In most cases, VCSEL crashes. If it fails, the manufacturer needs to test it in the room. The following two pictures show the VCSEL of the crash. HDMI has a total of four lanes, but from this picture, you see only three lights, which means one lane VCSEL fails.
In order to pursue low-cost marketing, many manufacturers change the internal VCSEL, adopt low-quality VCSEL, improve mold productivity, and shorten the service life, which are all high-risk defects in marketing. Smartavlink insists on using high-quality VCSEL of big brands to enhance the stability of HDMI AOC (such as II-VI, Philips) and avoid the risk of VCSEL chip.
Smartavlink launched HDMI-AOC development six years ago. They are the first generation of the HDMI-AOC development team, providing a one-stop service from the design, assembly, and testing of the HDMI engine. After six years of development, they provide OEM / ODM services worldwide.
If you want to learn more information about the HDMI AOC, and DP AOC, you can contact Smartavlink.